Sunday, May 18, 2008

The End of an Era

Well, my first year of law school is over and I couldn't be happier. For the past couple weeks I have spent a lot of time at home with Kristin and Owen. I did work on a school project, but for the most part I was just enjoying the time off. Unfortunately my time off is over and now I am going to start my new job. Apparently it is expected for me to provide an income for my growing family (something I haven't done since last August). This summer I'm working in Salem, OR at the state's justice department.

Usually I cook a lot when I'm not at school, but we have been in the middle of a heat wave that has killed my motivation. Tonight, however, I decided to whip up a little something for dinner and this is what happened. I made Spanish chicken couscous with cilantro cheese sauce. I'm proud to say I didn't follow any recipe and it turned out great. I know it was a success because Kristin had seconds (and she doesn't really like when I get creative). Anyway, in a nutshell, I may have missed my calling. Maybe I'll find myself working in restaurant law after school. (Is there such a thing as restaurant law?)














Here is the recipe (as far as I can remember):

1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 cup diced tomato
1/4 tsp salt
dash of pepper
2 Tbs olive oil

Saute the onion, tomato,garlic and add the salt and pepper.

Add 1 cup diced chicken and 1 1/4 cups chicken broth. (Bring to slight boil).
Add 1 cup small couscous, remove from heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.

Cheese Sauce:
Slowly heat 1/2 cup of chicken broth with about 4 oz of pepperjack cheese. Add 1/4 cup milk and bring to a simmer. Add a little thickener of choice until it is at a consistency you like. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and stir in 1 Tbs fresh chopped cilantro.

I formed the couscous into small bowls, and to make it my own, you must add some fresh cilantro on top as a garnish. If you don't like the recipe, don't blame me, I'm not a professional. If you do like it, well, then I'm a stud.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Don't forget to mention spending all your time off playing Mario Kart just so you can stomp your brother and sister in-law.

Ryan said...

Remember when we would make fun of your dad for all the recipes he had on his computer? You are your dad.

Dan and Ang said...

I am impressed with your mad cooking skills. Thanks for not experimenting on Angie and I. Just kidding. :)
I wouldn't mind trying some of your crazy concoctions sometime.