Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Welcome Home Friend!

I got a call on Thanksgiving night from a very nice police officer that told me that they had recovered my bike earlier that day and arrested the man who was in possession of it. I started jumping around yelling things like, "SUCKAS! That's what you get for stealing my bike!" It was quite embarrassing for Blake, but I couldn't help myself, I was so excited. It was a great Thanksgiving Day surprise.
So the next day, I went to the Springfield police station to pick up my bike, they brought it in, and instantly I knew it's not my bike. It looked like my bike frame, but this bike was much nicer than my bike. It's tires were actually pumped up, the spokes were trued and straight. There was a water bottle holder, a new seat, different pedals, different handlebars, front and back lights and a new speedometer. But after I looked at it closer, I saw some unique scratches on the frame that were put there by my various crashes. So it turns out that it was my bike and whoever had it last, probably someone who bought it off of some bike thief, put about $150 into it to fix it up. Funny huh? Now I'm hoping someone will come steal Blake's bike, because it needs a tune up and some new brakes.

14 comments:

Heidi said...

Wahoo, that's awesome! Have you guys decided if you are going to be able to come? You look very cute in that picture!

Kelly said...

That is an awesome story.

Chelsea B. said...

That is so amazing! Better buy a hefty lock for it. See you soon.

The Fife's said...

Hip Hip Horay!!! I'm glad they caught the stinker. You are the cutest. :)

Heather said...

Talk about a Thanksgiving miracle! I can't believe you got it back!!! That is so great! Take that, Eugene bike thieves!

Blake said...

NOTE: I was very doubtful that Kristin was going to ever see her bike again. In fact, I thought it was silly that she was putting so much effort in finding it by posting it on craigslist and filling out multiple stolen bike reports. Did I mention the time she got a hot tip from a craigslist user that caused her to go stake out a Fred Meyer parking lot the next night? I didn't have the heart to tell her she was wasting her time and now I don't have the guts to eat crow. Kristin is truly awesome and this will be one more reason why I love her. P.S. My cheap bike is awsome, if anything needs stealing it would be our Kia.

candice said...

That is too funny! that just doesn't happen!

Chelsea said...

I can't believe you got it back! Great news. All that effort paid off.

Bodacious Barlows said...

Rock on! I love it when stuff like that happens.

the5johnsons said...

man, and you thought that you got lucky in your last post where your won the baby carrier thingy. I think that you are going through a bout of good luck. Things usually come in 3's so keep your eyes peeled. Maybe, Blake, someone will steal your Kia.

Katie said...

Wow, that's awesome! I'm impressed with your police force up there in Oregon! I think out here in New York, unless it's a homicide, the police forget about it. I was excited to hear you guys are going to Utah for Christmas! We'll be counting down the days!

party of four said...

Haha, that's so awesome. Why hasn't that ever happend to me? So far, Eugene thieves have cost me 3 winter coats, an entire wardrobe, a computer, text books, probably around 40 cds, and various other treasured items. I think I deserve at least a few back...right?

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Oh my heavens. That doesn't happen in Eugene. Seriously, and then the repairs. I'm glad you have your old friend back.Make sure they don't climb back and steal the parts they put into it.

Suckas!

Elaine said...

That's hilarious!!!