Sunday, June 29, 2008

Much Needed Update

A few weeks ago we went on a hike with the youth up to Spencer's Butte. The hike was about 6 miles long with most of it hiking up a mountain. For the first few miles my back and legs were getting really tired because I had Owen in a backpack. Then we started going vertical up to the top of the butte. It was really tough for me since I haven't been working out like I should. Kristin took Owen down the butte and we had to end our hike after mile 5 because we ran out of food for Owen. All in all, a really beautiful hike through the Oregon forest. I'd like to thank Landon and Heather for letting me borrow their backpack even though I was wearing a Ute shirt that day.


Thankfully, Owen slept for a lot of the hike.

Over this past weekend we escaped the heat and went camping out on the coast. The following day we went to Newport, OR for SeaFest. Part of the event included a sea rescue demonstration from the US Coast Guard. Since I love helicopters, I had to watch. We stood at the end of the pier while the helicopter dropped people into the water about 40 yards away and pulled them out again. This was the highlight of my week. For those that don't know, I love helicopters almost as much as I love cooking. I almost drove my carpool into the emergency lane watching a Chinook helicopter fly around Eugene the other day.

Kristin will probably be mad when she sees how many pictures I posted of this event. Since Dan missed the event, I wanted them to experience it like I did. To get the full effect try beating on your chest really fast to mimick the sound of the helicopter and talk really loud when you look at the post...then you'll feel you were there.



Here are some pictures of Owen playing in the sand. This was one of two experiences on this trip he managed to get a fist full of dirt in his mouth.

What is more majestic than a man and his dog. (Especially this man!)




And finally, do you ever wonder where all the bits of fish go after the filets have been packaged and frozen? That question has plagued me for years and now I have the answer. It goes into a dump truck. This is a huge pile of fish bits left over from a seafood processing plant. It really stinks because it was hot outside. Now I am plagued with a new question: Where does the truck go?

7 comments:

Heidi said...

That first picture makes me want to go hiking, it looks like it was beautiful there. The coast guard is amazing, that would have been awesome to see. And after beating my chest and doing what you said I totally felt like I was there, thanks for the tips! :) I also love the picture if Owen on the beach!

Katie said...

Hehe, reading the part about you hiking makes me think back to the time when you, Ryan, and I went swimming at Weber State..."cramp, cramp!!"

Owen is getting so big, are you sure you don't want to take a red eye to visit us real quick?

Kelly said...

The fish pieces become Van de Kamp's fish products.
http://i4.peapod.com/c/PR/PRIQS.jpg

Dan and Ang said...

Angie and I were in Newport at the same time as you guys but we missed the helicopter! I saw it fly by, but didn't see it in action. Consider yourselves fortunate souls.

btw, the truck goes to Ogden. That should explain everything. jk

Ryan said...

What's better than a man and his dog? I'll tell you: A man, his dog & his capris!

I think maybe you should join the military with me. One of my first objectives after becoming active duty is to fly in a helicopter and drive a humvee.

Blake said...

FYI: Blake's pants are not capris. They are very manly jeans rolled up as to avoid the dangers of killer jellyfish. Anyway, everyone knows people with extremely hairy legs don't wear capris.

the5johnsons said...

wow, You guys have had so much fun. We want to come visit you guys bad. Your pictures are awesome.
P.s. thanks for the darling picture of Owen.