Friday, January 22, 2010

Helping out in Haiti

This is for all of my friends and family who have a desire to help the plight of the Haitian people.  A group of doctors and volunteers (mostly former LDS missionaries) are headed to Port-au-Prince next week.  Their mission is to rebuild a medical clinic that was founded years ago by a Utah doctor.  This clinic had a great history of helping Haitians.  I personally translated for the doctors at this clinic a number of times while I served as a missionary in that area.  I have some very special memories related to what I saw there.  Now it is gone.

This special envoy is being financially supported by private donations, living supplies for the volunteers are being provided by the LDS church, and they are going in under the direct authorization of USAID.  If you have the desire to help out in Haiti, this is the perfect method.  Here is a link for more information on how to help the team. 

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I've thought a lot about you lately with all of this Haiti stuff and wondered how you were doing. That's neat they are going to rebuild that clinic, I can't imagine how much more devastating it would seem to have lived there and known the people.

Blake said...

It has really been tough to focus on school and work. I see pictures of destroyed neighborhoods I spent time in. I worked in P-au-P for most of my mission, including the downtown area. I only wish I was in a place where I could go too. They have a lot of work to do.

Lima Bean said...

I didn't know you had served your mission there. Thanks for posting this. It is my dad's birthday tomorrow and I had decided that instead of sending him a gift this year, I would donate the money for relief in Haiti. I was just planning to donate to the church humanitarian fund, but then I read this on your blog and sent the money for this instead, since they have an immediate need. It sounds like a neat thing they're organizing and I hope and pray that they will be successful.

Chelsea B. said...

My brother-in-law, and orthopedic surgeon is one of the doctors signed up to go down. If he is approved, they will leave next Wednesday.